Datasets...
I had a go at Datasets on a previous post a while back. My main dislike of Datasets are that they're non-OO, and generally quite slow (especially when using them to transport data between tiers). Another problem I have with them is that MS tend to push Datasets as if they're the only option - there's not much in the documentation about using custom collections and objects instead of typed / untyped Datasets.
Seems MS have published an article deriding Datasets in favour of "custom entity classes". This is long overdue. Most devs take to Datasets because they're easy to get up and running, with the result that object-orientation (and a more elegant, efficient solution) is overlooked. Object orientation is not just about creating classes with properties and then using them (even VB6 had this "class-based" approach): it's a different mindset altogether. I see the abandoning of Datasets to be an essential first step for MS developers seeking to reach out towards proper OO ways of thinking and developing software.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home